Thursday, January 30, 2014

Extra Fun Fact: Dialogue Change Up!

Hey, guys! Genie here.

As I prepare Page 22 for you all, here is a little bit of trivia to feed the curious mind!

It regards the dialogue for the recently posted Page 21 of Eppie 9...

Remember the panel where Harry is talking about his relationship with Ace?

Well, that bit of dialogue was actually changed at the last minute.

Here, let me show you.

Here is the dialogue as typed in the script:


The red-underlined bit is what changed.

Here is the dialogue that ended up being in the finalized page:


...Kinda drastic change of emotions there, huh?

Well, as I was typing up the dialogue bubbles, I felt a little odd making Harry say, "I kind of dislike my brother"...Because, in all honesty, Harry does feel like he HATES him. No sugar-coating whatsoever.

I mean, knowing Ace, he would use the word 'Hate' without a second thought, but with Harry being the protagonist, it was hard for me to get him to say the word.

But then I realized...protagonist or not, Harry is still a 'human' character. And by human, I don't care about the fact that he is a raccoon. His character is still 'human', meaning that he will have touches of good, and touches of bad. No human is entirely good or entirely bad; it's always a mix.

And in this relationship, as you will later find out, both brothers embody this word, not just the 'evil' brother.

And I thought it wouldn't be fair if I sheltered Harry from his 'human' nature.

So, there you go!

Dialogue, as you guys know, is an essential part of story-telling, and it takes a good amount of effort to write in a way that best accommodates the story.

And I'm trying my best to do just that, as all story-tellers do.

Thank you for reading, and I shall see you with Page 22!

Until then,

Genie

No comments:

Post a Comment