Tuesday, October 1, 2013

JGT Behind the Page: Script and Rough Draft

Hey, guys! Genie here ^^

Well, college is starting to take over my life again, but that doesn't mean that JGT shall go too down with my amount of free time. I am currently on the verge of starting to draw Page 14!
And since I am still in the beginning of the page process, I thought it'd be cool to actually SHOW you guys what I have to do for each one! The process I currently use is influenced by a webcomic called Lackadaisy! You probably have heard of it; it's really popular, and it inspired me to try and change the style from storyboard-like to actual color/comic-like. And the very talented Tracy J. Butler showed her readers the process of drawing a comic page on Photoshop! Since I had Gimp (the free/'nih'-y version of photoshop), I thought I'd put her process to the test with my new style. And so far, I'm loving it! It's hard, but it's awesome.

And believe me, tis a looot of work, and it is for this reason that it sometimes takes so long for a page to come out.

So, here we go!

The page process starts with...the SCRIPT.

Here is a look at my desktop with the JGT eppie 9 script (and yes, that is one of Jocey's epic drawings of JGT in the background  ^^). I actually wrote this script months ago, before I started page 1 with the new style. So this script is pretty old, and usually undergoes a couple of changes when I actually draw the corresponding page to the corresponding script scene. So these words are not official.

The next step is the ROUGH DRAFT of the page!

This is a rough doodle of how I initially want the page to look. Like the script, this draft is not final...some pages have undergone spontaneous changes when I started the drawing phase.
This rough draft gives me a vague idea of the layout of the page, where the dialogue goes, how much of the script I use, etc. And if you look closely, you can probably guess who's who, haha XD

So in a nutshell, here are the first two steps of the comic page-process! Once I start the drawing phase (hopefully after I finish hw tomorrow), I'll probably show you guys a couple of roughly sketched panels...if they don't look too embarrassing haha ^o^"

Until then,

Genie ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment